Shayne always swore our kids needed helmets. In fact, he always said that he should invent a baby helmet so that their precious little noggins are protected while they constantly bash them into the floor, walls, drawers, etc. Little did he know, modern medicine was one step ahead of him.
For about 4 months or so, Shayne and I have noticed that Quinten's head shape was looking a little odd. We asked multiple times at the pediatrician's, and friends and family, but everyone said it was fine, just fine, but a mom knows, and his head just doesn't look the same as it did when he was born.
Finally, our pediatrician gave me the info to a cranial specialist to have Quinten's head evaluated, and guess what?... I was RIGHT! of course I was right, a mom always knows when something's wrong (and I happen to be really talented at being right, ask Shayne, he'd vouch). Although his case is not severe, his head is definitely wider than it should be, taller in certain spots, and flatter in others. Personally, we think he's still the most adorable thing that exits, and his hair covers any oddities, but genetics being what they are, he is predisposed to premature hair loss (early baldness, let's just say it, he doesn't have much of a chance). I figure, we can't really change genetics, but maybe we can help him have a NICE looking bald head. With the Doc-Band (helmet, but don't call it that in front of the doctors, they'll correct it every time) the average time wearing it is 4-6 months (depending on how fast his head grows and re-shapens). Wearing a helmet for 4-6 months is definitely worth a nice shaped head for the rest of his life, so Bubba got his Doc-Band today.
He's not a fan, but he didn't throw as big of a fit as I thought he would. Hopefully, he'll adjust quickly and it won't slow him down.
Here's the dilemna...How do we make a helmet cute? We've been throwing around a few decorative ideas:
49er helmet
Lil' Rockstar: put band stickers around
Future Jedi: Star wars theme
But we would LOVE to hear any ideas that you may have. Hopefully we can make his helmet wearing days MAKE A STATEMENT!
2 comments:
Good for you for being proactive :) I think a lot of times, we as parents (and especially the mommy) are the last ones to recognize when something isn't "right" because in our eyes they are so perfect!!! I bet he is adorable in his little helmet...but I'm with everyone else on this one, I would never have thought anything was up with him, he is so stinkin cute :)
i second what jamie said!! he's a doll!
Post a Comment